SUNSHINE COAST - Learn to Code Full Day Workshop
Full day session: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Got a website and know how to make simple additions and updates but still reliant on web developers when it comes to accessing the source code and making tricky changes?
The morning will be spent learning the languages and the afternoon will be spent applying your newly learnt skills through practical applications on existing websites and in emarketing systems to embed your knowledge.
Who should attend and prerequisites
- People who already have access to the back end of a website and who want to learn how to go beyond the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) visual editor and into the source code area of the website
- People who are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of what code is, and how it works to create web pages and other applications, thus becoming less reliant on their web developer
- People who want to know how to customise email templates to achieve the exact look and feel they desire
- You should have a website you can work on on the day (and permission to do so!) and have access to the back end i.e. bring your username & passwords and test them before the day to ensure you have access. Training will be performed live in your website back end!
- Students should also have a strong working knowledge of either Mac or Windows
Topics covered in this session
- The history of code - how it came about and mark up languages in Word Processing
- Introduction to HTML - Hyper Text Markup Language, a standardised system for tagging text files to achieve font, colour, graphic, and hyperlink effects on the web.
- How to locate and view the source code of a web page
- How to write and read basic HTML code
- How to locate code you want to amend
- Best practice in coding - taking a back up before you get started, and regularly checking and testing your work
- Introduction to CSS - Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) - a style sheet language used for describing the look and formatting of a document written in a markup language including how and why it came about and what its useful for
- Tools you can use to change CSS on a live website
- Basic coding constructs (loops / arrays)
- Real world examples of JS and why we use it
- Making changes to your existing website - FTP / WordPress Editor / and other systems
- Trouble shooting when things go wrong
- Tools and tips that can help you with your coding - jQuery library and Google fonts
- Where you can learn more online if you want to continue the journey of coding
- Plus more...
What makes Andrew such a popular presenter is his ability to explain otherwise complex internet concepts in layman’s terms. Participants in his workshops and webinars always leave inspired by the new skills they’ve learned.
Andrew grew up in the outback and has lived all over Queensland, only to settle in the Brisbane CBD. He lives in the northern suburbs with his girlfriend Emma and his two Labradors, Molly and Dudley.
LOCATIONThe Creative Collective
11/12 Norval Court, Maroochydore